Creating a Daily Physical Activity Routine
One of the best things we can do to incorporate being active into our daily life is to establish a routine. Most people live their life based on a schedule. You can make physical activity part of your normal day like brushing your teeth. There is often no question as to whether or not you will brush your teeth; it’s a task you plan on doing every day for the rest of your life. You don’ t give yourself an out or the choice to not brush your teeth. (We hope!) By having a daily physical activity routine, it can help to eliminate the possibility of changing our mind or thinking of the task as a choice. Here are some ways to help make being active part of our daily routine.
Look over your schedule and find blocks of time that could be used for being active. Maybe you have time early in the morning or right after dinner. Perhaps you have more time in the evening. Find a time that works best for you and schedule it as part of your day and stick to your plan!
- Keep workout clothes in your car so you don’t have to go home before heading to the gym or the park. Your routine can be to leave work and go workout before you ever get home. Sometimes showing up is the hardest part.
- Schedule a regular time to go walking with a friend each day or week. By having someone else rely on you, you will be more likely to keep your commitment.
- Drive past the park or the gym on your way to and from work. Seeing other people out and being active can help motivate you to want to join them.
- Keep a pair of running shoes at work so you can take a quick walk during your break or lunch.
- If you have a favorite show you like to watch, tell yourself that you can only watch it if you are on the treadmill or doing strength training exercises.
- Make a plan with your family to go walking before or after dinner. Stick to your plan! Use this time as a way to talk and have fun with your family.
- Promise your dog that you will take him out walking. Nobody wants to let their dog down!
We often do things we might not want to do because of our daily routine. Once the body gets going the body tends to stay on task and get things done. Use these strategies to fit in some physical activity each day!