Seasonal Summer Fruits and Veggies
The summertime brings a variety of fruits and veggies that are in season. This is a good time to take advantage and spark your desire to eat healthier. Seasonal summer fruits and veggies can be a nice change because they add variety in flavors, but also nutrients. Eating a colorful variety can also keep you from getting bored of eating the same things.
Here are some simple ways to include a colorful variety of fruits and veggies throughout your day:
- Substitute some spinach, onions, or mushrooms for one of the eggs or half of the cheese in your morning omelet. The vegetables will add volume and flavor to the dish with fewer calories than the egg or cheese.
- Cut back on the amount of cereal in your bowl to make room for some cut-up bananas, peaches, or strawberries. You can still eat a full bowl, but with fewer calories.
- Blend up a fruit smoothie. Add your favorite frozen fruit, almond milk, nonfat vanilla yogurt and blend with some ice.
- Set out a bowl of fresh fruit that is easy to grab in the morning on the way out the door. Get in the habit of taking fruit on the road for a snack.
- Skip the chips and bring cut-up veggies and hummus as a side with your lunch.
- When eating out, select the vegetarian option that often has more fruits and vegetables.