New year…New You in 2020!
It’s the New Year and it’s easy to start off strong with our goals but in the back of our mind, we are really wondering how long we can keep this up? Here are some quick tips to turn your New Year motivation into lifelong habits.
- Choose the right activity for you. Not everybody enjoys the same types of activities. It’s okay if you don’t like running or lifting weights, those are not the only ways to be active. Some people like to take classes; others like to do activities on their own. The main thing is to figure out what you like to do and do that activity!
- Choose the right time to be active. Some of us are naturally morning people and we enjoy getting up and going for a morning walk but that doesn’t work for everyone. Others might like to work out as a way to unwind in the evening. Choosing the time of day that works best for you can make all the difference as to whether or not you are active that day.
- Have a routine and stick to it. Join a class that meets weekly, make plans to exercise with a friend, figure out something that you can do on a regular basis and stick to it! It only takes 21 days to develop a habit so attempt to be active 21 days. Before long it will just be part of your daily routine.
- Include your friends. Adding socialization to exercise can always make it more fun. People count on you to be there, so you feel less inclined to skip out.
- Keep a record. Research shows that self-monitoring is key to maintaining our goals. Keep track of your activity in different ways, such as miles or steps walked, laps swam or days consistent in being active. Join the Walk Around NV and track your steps or miles.
Think of your resolutions as year-long goals, not something you have to master in the month of January. Slowly take small steps to work towards your end goal. Over time your new habits will become your new lifestyle!