Focus on your Health this Holiday Season!
The best ways to prevent most chronic diseases are to eat healthy, be physically active, and avoid tobacco. The holidays can make it hard to stick to these healthy habits or start new ones. But with a little planning, you can approach the busiest time of the year with some strategies to stay on track.
- Start new traditions: Holiday gatherings are a wonderful time to revisit traditional and cultural foods. This year try some healthy recipes and offer a healthier version of an old favorite—or even something different that becomes a new tradition.
- Call time-out for some time out: With cooler weather, travel, and disruptions in routine, it can be tough to stay active. Learn how to make time for physical activity when life gets in the way. And make it a group effort! Halftime is the perfect time to pull the crew off the couch and out the door for a walk.
- Commit to quit. It’s never too late to quit smoking, and your family and friends can help. Quitting smoking has immediate and long-term benefits and can also protect the health of your loved ones. Find resources for quitting smoking on our website!
- Learn your family health history: If you have a family history of a chronic disease—like heart disease or diabetes—you may be more likely to develop that disease yourself. Family gatherings offer a chance to find out details that you can share with your doctor. You can use My Family Health Portrait to record these details.
- Don’t forget your well-being: Learning to cope with stress in healthy ways can make other healthy choices easier. For stress relief, take deep breaths, stretch, meditate, or do an activity you enjoy, even if it’s just for 5 minutes. Talk with people you trust about how you’re feeling and write down the things you are grateful for.
- Get vaccinated: Stay up to date on your flu and COVID-19 vaccines this season. You can schedule a vaccine appointment at the Southern Nevada Health District.
The Get Healthy Team wishes you and your family a safe and healthy holiday season!