A Fit New Year!
For many, the start of a new year may bring fresh motivation to set goals and commit to better habits. In fact, it was estimated that the most common new year’s resolution for 2024 was improving fitness (Forbes).
Physical activity is anything that gets your body moving. Each week adults need 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and 2 days of muscle strengthening activity. Children and adolescents ages 6 through 17 need to be active for 60 minutes every day.
Are you looking to increase your physical activity this year? Here are some simple tips to incorporate more physical activity throughout your day.
- Add physical activity to your daily routine. For example, walk or ride your bike to work, organize school activities around physical activity, walk the dog, take the stairs, exercise while you watch TV, park farther away from your destination, etc.
- Select activities, such as walking, jogging, or stair climbing that you can do based on the time that you have available (e.g., 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 20 minutes).
- Invite friends and family members to exercise with you. Plan social activities involving exercise.
- Schedule physical activity for times in the day or week when you feel energetic.
- Develop new friendships with physically active people. Join a gym or group, such as the YMCA or a hiking club.
- Plan ahead. Make physical activity a regular part of your daily or weekly schedule and write it on your calendar.
- Join an exercise group or class.
- And don’t forget to have fun! Aim for activities that you enjoy!
We wish you a happy and healthy new year! For more information about physical activity, visit our website at https://gethealthyclarkcounty.org/get-moving/