Healthy Happy Families
In Nevada, over 30% of children entering kindergarten are overweight or obese. Childhood obesity puts kids at risk for health problems that were once seen only in adults, like type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.
The good news is that childhood obesity can be prevented. In honor of National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, The Get Healthy Team encourages your family to make healthy changes together. Some ideas include:
• Get active outside: Walk around the neighborhood, go on a bike ride, or play basketball at the park. Check out our Neon to Nature App to find trails near you.
• Limit screen time: Keep screen time (time spent on the computer, watching TV, or playing video games) to 2 hours or less a day.
• Make healthy meals: Buy and serve more vegetables, fruits, and whole-grain foods. Check out our SNAP app to find healthy recipes to share with your family.
• Drink up: Serve water or low-fat dairy instead of sugary drinks.
• Taking small steps as a family can help your child stay at a healthy weight!
For more information about childhood obesity and how your family can be healthy, check out the Get Healthy Clark County website.