Drink Water All Year Long
Summer is over and the hot weather is coming to a close for the year but that’s doesn’t mean we should phase out our habit of drinking water. The hot summer weather is an easy prompt for us to be drinking more water, but even when the weather is cooler, we need to remember to keep hydrated especially if we are being active. One easy way to see if you need to drink more water is to check the volume, color and odor of your urine. If your urine is small in volume, a dark yellow color and has a strong odor you may be dehydrated. Use this as a prompt to drink more water. Water helps your body:
- Keep your temperature normal
- Lubricateband cushion joints
- Protect your spinal cord and other sensitive tissues
- Get rid of wastes through urination, perspiration, and bowel movements
Tips to drink more water:
- Start the morning by filling up a glass or water bottle with water.
- Carry a water bottle for easy access when you are away from home.
- Choose water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages. Substituting water for sugary soda will save you calories and help in weight management.
- Add a wedge of lime or lemon to your water. This can help improve the taste and help you drink more water.
- Set a goal for how much you plan to drink each day and keep track of the amount.
You can help your body by drinking water not just when you are thirsty. This way your body will be able to do all of its water-ful jobs and you’ll feel great!