Tips to Enjoy a Healthy and Safe Summer!
For many of us, summer is a time for vacation, travel, time spent with loved ones and outdoor adventures! As Clark County experiences excessive heat this time of the year, there are a few things we can do to stay safe this season.
- Move More, Sit Less! Get at least 150 minutes of aerobic physical activity every week. Physical activity has immediate benefits for your health such as better sleep and reduced anxiety. If possible, find activities you can safely do indoors and limit outdoor exposure, especially midday when the sun is hottest. Check out our Move Your Way page for a list of events.
- Wear Sunscreen. It is recommended to apply sunscreen about 30 minutes before going outside. You should use broad-spectrum sunscreen with at least SPF 30 for sun protection. Reapply sunscreen after 2 hours and after swimming, sweating, or toweling off. You can also use shade, wide-brimmed hats, and loose clothing.
- Keep Cool in Extreme Heat. Extreme heat can be dangerous for everyone, but it may be especially dangerous for people with chronic medical conditions. Limit your exposure outdoors and stay hydrated.
- Stay safe around swimming pools. Make sure that children are supervised near pools and that you are following any directions at community pools.
- Choose Your Drinks Wisely. Drink water instead of sugary or alcoholic drinks to stay hydrated, reduce calorie intake, and stay safe.
- Eat Healthy Food. Delicious fruits and veggies make any summer meal healthier.
These are just a few things we can do to enjoy a healthy and safe summer! We hope you enjoy your summer!