Nutrition and Physical Activity Education Resources
We have collected numerous resources for teachers including lesson plans, interactive websites, guidelines and much more.
- Nutrition and physical activity lesson plans for middle & high school students. Download the lesson plans PDF 102KB handout.
- Nutrition and physical activity lesson plans for elementary students.
- The Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program (FFVP) is a federally assisted program providing free fresh fruits and vegetables to students in participating elementary schools during the school day.
- Learn how to make your own inexpensive nutrition education models, including thickened blood, 'sticky' blood, sugar and fat content models and more. Download the Nutrition Education Models PDF 98KB handout.
- Nutrition Posters/Flyers/Banners
(sizes Poster 11x17, Flyer 8x11, Banner 72x48)
- Interactive DRI for Health Professionals allows you to estimate personalized nutritional needs online. fnic.nal.usda.gov/interactiveDRI/
- Office of Dietary Supplements Health Information provides dietary supplement (including vitamins and minerals) fact sheets, how to evaluate health information on the internet, and more. ods.od.nih.gov/HealthInformation/makingdecisions.sec.aspx
- 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans provides information and advice for choosing a nutritious diet, maintaining a healthy weight, achieving adequate exercise, and “keeping foods safe” to avoid foodborne illness. www.cnpp.usda.gov/publications/dietaryguidelines
- National Institutes of Health Medline Plus provides information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language you can understand. www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/healthtopics.html
- Educational models of food, food composition, and anatomy that may be borrowed for FREE from the National Agricultural Library’s (NAL) collection via your local library. fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php
- Nutrition teaching aids to purchase, including food groups beach ball, food models, lessons, handouts, posters, etc. www.enasco.com/nutrition/
- A variety of lesson plans and curricula as well as organizations and companies that provide nutrition education materials and resources for audiences from young to old. fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php
- CDC About BMI for Children and Teens article explains how BMI assessment for children is different than for adults. www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/assessing/bmi/childrens_bmi/
- CDC BMI Percentile Calculator for Child and Teen, you’ll need birth date of child, date of measurement, height & weight. apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/
- General Nutrition and Physical Activity Resources