Southern Nevada Injury Prevention Partnership (SNIPP)
The Office of Emergency Medical Services & Trauma System (EMSTS) has created a comprehensive trauma plan for Southern Nevada and administers the Southern Nevada Trauma System.
Injury prevention is a fundamental component of a comprehensive trauma care system. Much of the emphasis in trauma systems is reducing the impact on an injury once it has occurred and to optimize its outcome.
However, a coordinated community based injury prevention program has the greatest potential for reducing the financial burden of trauma care as well as morbidity and mortality.
The Regional Trauma Advisory Board (RTAB), assisted by EMSTS staff, convenes as needed to assure that the overall trauma care system is reviewed on an ongoing basis.
The Southern Nevada Injury Prevention Partnership (SNIPP) was established under the authority of the RTAB to:
- advise and assist the RTAB in the structure and development of the injury prevention component of the Southern Nevada Trauma Plan
- assure the provision and/or initiation of a full spectrum of injury prevention efforts in Southern Nevada with emphasis on those that directly impact the Trauma System (i.e. motor vehicle related injuries)
- develop a quantitative community health and injury assessment in order to provide evidence based and specific injury prevention program recommendations specific to Southern Nevada
- facilitate and promote collaboration and coordination of available resources to meet identified needs
- facilitate and promote coordination and collaboration to evaluate program outcome data to modify existing programs and create new programs to meet identified needs
- promote heightened awareness of injury prevention issues and concerns to the community and recognition of injury prevention as a legitimate public and governmental service
SNIPP is made up of representatives from established injury prevention groups identified by RTAB members through the RTAB Injury Prevention representative. The RTAB Injury Prevention representative serves as SNIPP chair with the health district Office of Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion and EMSTS collaboratively providing partnership facilitation and administrative support.
Meetings are no less than quarterly with additional meetings called for by the chairperson as needed. The SNIPP chairperson/designee provides injury prevention updates at least twice a year at regularly scheduled RTAB meetings or more often, as requested.
The role of SNIPP is to provide oversight, coordination and promote collaboration of existing programs. Future proposed programs, policies and procedures, and SNIPP recommendations are reported to the RTAB for approval with the health district’s director of community health and the chief health officer giving final approval.
Download the SNIPP Directory PDF 35 KB